My Blog List

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

                      Hello fellow human being! My name is Ava Covington. The number one thing I like the most about this year's English class is how mentally engaging our writing assignments are. This may be a strange thing to choose as a favorite aspect, but last year I was very deprived of any writing. I was lucky that I didn't loose any of my writing ability from the lack of essays I had in English class last year! The topics that we write about never cease to entertain me. Another thing I have to mention is the abundance class participation! I have never had a class so student engaging in activities that really help in furthering my understanding at the topic at hand!
                    Henrik Johan Ibsen was a famous play writer born in the coastal town of Skien, Norway on March 20th, 1828. Surprisingly, he never displayed any indication of the theatrical genius that he would grow to be. He actually, expressed interest on being an artist. When he turned eight years old, his family landed themselves in poverty, leading them to sell their valued items to pay off debts. The family soon moved to a rundown farm near their previous place of residence. During this time, he spent most of his time painting, reading, and performing magic tricks. He even worked on poetry and painting  during his apprenticeship in an apothecary on Grinstad.
                     His first play that he got published, Catilina,  was not noticed profoundly by the public. The play that helped launch his career was The Pillars of Society; that play was followed by the acclaimed A Doll's House. Leaving Norway in 1862 in chosen exile due to the small-mindedness of his community, he continued to write many controversial plays that challenged society during his time. Upon his return to Norway, he was looked upon as a literary hero by the people. He died May, 23, 1906. The title, A Doll's House, could be a reference to the gender roles of women during that time period. The "Doll" part of the title could refer to a woman who only is a decoration to the man of the household. A woman's role during Ibsen's time period was very limited to anything beyond being at a man's beck and call and being a mother. Most of Ibsen's works focused on challenging society. Based off of this information, the book could focus on a woman trying to be more than what her gender roles limit her to.

sources: http://www.biography.com/people/henrik-ibsen-37014
              http://www.britannica.com/biography/Henrik-Ibsen
                       


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment